Before it was the vineyard. Even before the Douro Demarcated Region was defined in 1756. Kopke, the oldest Port wine house, was established in 1638 and, to this day, it remains as a guardian of the World Heritage wealth that is the Alto Douro wine region.
The steep slopes with schist soils, where the summers are scorching and the winters are frozen, produce the Tawny Harvest and the white wines which made this house a production leader, along with DOC Douro wines. Committed to this century-old heritage and with its future, resources are preserved and the land is taken care of, as if it were people.